Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Day 32, Tuesday, September 5, 2017 - Clyde Holliday SP, John Day, OR, Day 2

Happy Hour
Tuesday, September 5, 2017 - Clyde Holliday SP, John Day, OR, Day 2, 0 Miles, 541.7 Towing Miles For the Trip

A busy day. I started by using the new oven to bake a blueberry pie. I wanted a test before I attempted to make one for a rally. I moved the 12" tile from the toaster oven to the trailer gas oven & it cracked in half while the oven warmed up. It still seemed to moderate the temperature - I didn't set the pie on fire like I did with the frozen pizza. All in all, it worked well, although a bit slower than the toaster oven. I did buy an oven thermometer & it ran about 25°F lower than the dial on the oven.

While the pie cooled I headed into John Day to do laundry. I almost had a mess - I'm in the habit of checking out the washer before I throw my clothes in - good thing, at least this time. There was a ball point pen cartridge in the washer with smears of ink on the sides. I used another pair, and warned folks about the ink - no paper towels available to clean it up. Other than that, the laundry went OK.

After putting the laundry away & making the bed, I headed to the bathroom. On the way there was a group of campers sitting around a picnic table. Since I can't eat a whole pie, I offered it up to the group. We had a great time testing the pie - it passed.

Next was a trip to the Painted Hills unit of the John Day Fossil Beds. It is a long haul from the campground - about 73 miles, and it got smokier every mile. At the Painted Hills the smoke was bad enough that my eyes burned. The photos were pretty bad, but I do have the ones from 2014. I stopped to photograph the "Sneaker Tree" on the way back to the campground.  Photos at today's LakeshoreImages page.

I enjoyed clams, salad, freeze dried garlic, and a variety of wines with the group (many of which were retired teachers) until dark.

Dinner was going to be left over tacos, but after the clams, salad, and other snacks, there was no need to dig out the leftovers.

Until next time -

No comments:

Post a Comment