Sunday, September 24, 2017

Day 51, Sunday, September 24, 2017 - Oakridge RV Park, Oakridge, OR

Salt Creek Waterfall
Sunday, September 24, 2017 - Oakridge RV Park, Oakridge, OR, 131.1 Miles, 1,143.4 Towing Miles For the Trip

I headed out of the KOA around 10:00, driving up US 97 & OR 58. I have driven that section of US 97 before, on trips that either ended up in Klamath Falls, or headed west on OR 138, one of my favorite roads for waterfalls (and the Susan Falls BLM campground is also a favorite). I also drove by Collier Memorial State Park, a state park I enjoyed on past trips. I skipped all on this trip, and cut through the Cascades on OR 58, a new road for me. I stopped to photograph Diamond Peak across Odell Lake, and to photograph Oregon's second tallest waterfall ( the Salt Creek Falls) but didn't do the hike to the bottom. Sorry for the burnt out stream at the top of the falls - too much sunlight.

I quit for the day at the Oakridge RV Park, Site 11, a full hookup gravel site for $38.43 per night. I'm here for 3 nights. It is a small, typical commercial RV park with bathrooms, showers & a laundry, but no cable and no picnic table at the temporary sites.

The change in weather crossing to the west side of the Cascades is pretty amazing. When I left Klamath Falls it was in the low 40's, and here in Oakridge, everyone is walking around in "T" shirts & shorts at 75F. The change of altitude probably also has a lot to do with the increased temperatures - I went from 4099' at Klamath Falls to 1240' here in Oakridge. On the way I hit 5128' going over Willamette Pass. Evidently, the rain over the last couple of days has limited the smoke. While you can see a bit of haze, it is no worse than Fossil was when I was there, and this was one of the areas reported as "Unhealthy".

I drove to the local grocery store (Ray's Food Place), a surprisingly well stocked store for a town of only 3205. They also have a Mexican restaurant that the campground owner recommended that I may try tomorrow. Dinner tonight was fried chicken - a bit too greasy for my taste, very good baked macaroni & cheese, and fresh string beans.

Until next time -

1 comment:

  1. Up and down and up...Sounds like you are seeing some amazing country.

    ReplyDelete